San Joaquin Delta College
San Joaquin Delta College
Director of Health Sciences
Salary Range: $127,967 – $152,799 annually
Application Deadline: September 30, 2023, 11:59 PM
The Director of Health Sciences provides leadership to the Nursing Education Programs including the Associate Degree Nursing Program, Licensed Vocational Nursing Program, Psychiatric Technician Program and related Nursing studies. The Director is responsible for maintaining the quality of Nursing Education and administrative and financial management of the Nursing Programs. The Director of Health Sciences reports to the Division Dean of Health Sciences.
The Director of Health Sciences serves as an educational administrator. The Director of Health Sciences maintains reporting responsibility for multiple major programs and may supervise other managers. The Director of Health Sciences may oversee or assist in overseeing the delivery of programs. The Director of Health Sciences classification is reserved for the oversight of major college-wide programs, projects or off campus programs
Responsibilities and Duties
• Working with faculty and department will ensure maintenance of accreditation by regulatory bodies, such as the Board of Registered Nursing, Board of Vocational Nursing a and Psychiatric Technicians and the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission.
• Provide leadership toward a dynamic curriculum that complies with regulatory mandates through the planning, implementation and evaluation of instructional courses, programs, and policies & procedures.
• Create a climate of open communication and provide opportunities for faculty and staff to participate in decision making and to consult on matters of District interest.
• Represent the District with community, governmental and advisory groups including regional and specialized accrediting and licensing bodies.
• Participate in ongoing, systematic program evaluation and in the assessment of student success.
• Promote Nursing Education to the general public through community contacts, partnerships, and participation in community activities.
• Initiate and maintain contractual agreements with healthcare facilities.
• Supervise, direct and evaluate faculty and staff.
• Facilitate the District Program Review process and formulate reports for the Instruction Office.
• Collaborate in the recruitment, enrollment and matriculation of nursing students.
• Oversee departmental operations to support the educational goals of the program.
• Develop and recommend the program budget, supervise expenditures and payroll, maintain fiscal controls, and manage area facilities, equipment and maintenance.
• Pursue new grant opportunities and collaborate in implementation of current grants and funded projects.
• Maintain an understanding of current ideas, research and practices pertaining to the areas of responsibility for this position.
• Carry out such other duties as may be assigned by the Division Dean of Health Sciences.
• Use organizational skills that enable performance of duties in a timely fashion with attention to detail;
• Effectively communicate orally and in writing;
• Manage financial resources effectively including determining how best to utilize resources and managing budgets and expenditures;
• Use personal computers utilizing typical office software applications, including the Internet; work hands on using typical business application such as student information and financial systems;
• Travel throughout the District to carry out responsibilities and functions;
• Work effectively with managers, faculty and staff in a participatory governance environment to accomplish the goals and objectives of the college and the assigned divisions or areas;
• Exercise good judgment;
• Communicate effectively and constructively with persons of diverse cultures, language groups, and abilities;
• Demonstrate sensitivity to and ability to work with the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, faculty, and staff, including those with disabilities;
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work;
• Develop and implement grant-funded projects.;
• Promote collaboration among the college, nursing and health science department, and community health care services
• Computer-based technology for management of assigned divisions/areas and for instructional, student, and/or support services
• The goals of shared governance; principles and practices of administrative organization and management.
• Planning, supervising and evaluating the work of others,
• Employee motivation and training
• Applicable federal, state, local, District and college laws, rules and regulations, and collective bargaining contract provisions;
• Complex business level English usage, spelling, grammar and punctuation; modern office tools such as computers and printers;
• Typical modern office computer software programs
• Complex report and presentation writing skills.
• Regulations, licensing processes and requirements of the California Board of Registered Nursing, Board of Vocational Nursing and Psychiatric Technicians, and Department of Health Services.
• Current and emerging issues in nursing and health care.
• Development of grant proposals.
• Nursing and health science program assessment, analysis and evaluation.
Education and Experience:
• Master’s degree or higher in Nursing from an accredited college or university which includes coursework in nursing, education, curriculum development and administration. Hold or be eligible for, California state licensure as a Registered Nurse.
• A minimum of two (2) years of experience in an administrative position in a registered nursing program and a minimum of two years of academic teaching experience in nursing education within the last five years are required. At least two years of continuous experience in the practice of professional nursing, providing direct patient care, is also required. Teaching and administrative experience in a community college is desired.
• A valid Class “C” California Driver’s License.
To apply for this job please visit www.schooljobs.com.