Kern Community College District
Director, Communication and Community Relations (CC)
Kern Community College District
Salary: $100,045.59 – $131,268.47 Annually
Job Number: FY22-2300188
Location: Ridgecrest, CA
Department: Public Information Office
Under the direction of the College President or designee, the Director, Communication and Community Relations, is responsible for implementing community and public relations strategies that advance the College’s goals with key external and internal constituents. Represents the College to the community at large through the development and maintenance of relationships with key community groups, external agencies, and/or other interested parties.
1. Facilitate community relationships, through the office of the president, with businesses, industry partners, and non-profit organizations to advance the missions of the college in all of the communities the college serves.
2. Serve as key point of contact for neighboring businesses, institutions, residents and others in college served communities. Initiate and support opportunities for them to be engaged in college/campus life, engage them in college/campus issues or changes affecting them, and partner in addressing concerns.
3. Engage with employee groups, students, and the public to obtain information for publication and promotion; collaborate with administrators in the development and implementation of promotional and public relations goals, objectives, strategies, timelines and priorities; attend, photograph and report on College-related events and activities.
4.Provide guidance to campus executives on communication, community relations and marketing issues. Compose, develop, and prepare oral and written communications for the campus leadership; confer with the President regarding communications in response to media relations needs.
5. Compose, develop and prepare for the dissemination of speeches, correspondence, talking points, announcements, and other oral and written communications for the President; confer with the President regarding and adjust communications in response to public relations needs; provide technical assistance to the President regarding public relations strategies, needs, and issues.
6. Serve as liaison to the Cerro Coso Community College Foundation, working jointly to promote community relationships in all of the locations served.
7. Develop, implement, and maintain the College Communication Plan and establish and maintain internal and external communication networks for the College.
8. Coordinate crisis communications and participate in campus safety planning efforts.
9. Determine the need for general campus and specific program marketing; create and initiate marketing and promotional campaigns to meet the needs of the general campus and specific programs.
10. Coordinate crisis communications and participate in campus safety planning efforts.
11. Act as campus spokesperson and coordinate various campus experts to speak with the news media.
12. Supervise Web, Graphics, and Media Relations staff to include prioritizing and assigning work; conducting performance evaluations; ensuring staff is trained; making hiring/ termination, and disciplinary recommendations.
13. Provide direct supervision and evaluation of personnel in the Print Shop, ensuring accurate and quick completion of design and print jobs for various college divisions and departments.
14. In coordination with the Vice President, Student Services, and Vice President, Instruction, supervise the design, preparation, content development and distribution of all campus publications, including the Course Catalog and Schedule of Classes.
15. Participates in the planning and allocating of the departmental budget, which includes monitoring spending, approving purchases, reallocating funds, and monitoring blanket purchase orders.
16. Develop and maintain good relationships with community media organizations.
17. Create and distribute news releases to all appropriate media, act as the liaison between faculty, staff, and media, arrange news conferences, television and radio appearances, and news interviews.
18. Manage college social media presence and effective use of social media tools for information dissemination and marketing.
19. Perform other related duties and special projects as assigned by the President of the College.
• Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college/university or equivalent, preferably in communications, journalism, marketing, or a related field plus five years experience. Proof of significant experience in communication, community relations, marketing or media may be substituted for the degree requirement.
• Three years in directing media relations or community relations.
• A working knowledge of print and electronic media, ability to write and speak effectively, ability to work harmoniously with a wide variety of people, and have the knowledge of and commitment to the mission of the community colleges.
• Demonstrated sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, ethnic, and disability backgrounds of community college students and employees.
Knowledge and Abilities
• Practices, methods and procedures involved in developing, implementing and conducting community relations, strategic communications, marketing and awareness activities.
• Practices and procedures involved in the preparation and dissemination of news and media releases.
• Community relations practices, procedures, techniques and terminology.
• Broad knowledge of social media tools and social media environments.
• Policies, goals and objectives of College operations, programs and activities.
• Principles, practices and techniques involved in the research, organization, composition and design of news releases, newsletters and informational materials.
• Methods of collecting and organizing data and information.
• Oral and written communication skills.
• Budget preparation and control.
• Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy.
• Correct English usage, grammar, spelling, punctuation and vocabulary.
• Operation of a computer, desktop publishing equipment and assigned software.
• Record-keeping and report preparation techniques.
• Public speaking techniques.
• Develop, implement, and conduct media relations, strategic communications, marketing and awareness activities to enhance community understanding of College objectives, services and activities.
• Compose, develop, and prepare for the dissemination of speeches, correspondence, talking points, announcements, and other oral and written communications for the President.
• Research, organize, compose, and design press releases, newsletters, and informational materials for distribution to the local news media and publication in the community.
• Engage with employee groups, students, and the public to obtain information for publication and promotion.
• Serve as a liaison and coordinate communications and information between the President, other administrators, personnel, print and broadcast media, and the public.
• Monitor legislature and activities affecting College operations and activities.
• Learn College organization, operations, policies and objectives.
• Prepare and deliver oral presentations.
• Operate a computer and assigned software.
• Analyze situations accurately and adopt an effective course of action.
• Work independently with little direction.
• Maintain records and prepare reports.
• Plan and organize work.
• Meet schedules and time lines.
• Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
• Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
SALARY RANGE$ 100,045.59 – $ 131,268.47 annuallyMaximum Entry Level Salary: $105,110.40 annually
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONSFirst Review of Applications: Complete application packets will be accepted until the position is filled; but those received by December 12, 2022 are assured consideration. The College reserves the right to extend time limits or reinitiate the recruitment/selection process at any point.Completed application packet must include:
• Completed Online Application for Employment form
• Current resume
• Letter of interest (Cover Letter)
• Copy of legible transcripts, if applicable
• List of five (5) professional references – Listed on application form
It is the applicant’s responsibility to redact (or remove) any personal information from all documents prior to uploading. This includes Social Security Numbers, Date of Birth, and any photos of the applicant.
Foreign Degree: Applicants with foreign degrees from colleges or universities outside of the United States must have their coursework evaluated by a professional association that is a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) or Academic Credentials Evaluation Institute, INC. (ACEI). A copy of the evaluation must be submitted with your on-line application.
Applicants who require reasonable accommodation to participate in the selection process should contact Human Resources to make the necessary arrangements. https://www.kccd.edu/human-resources/discrimination-free-work-environment
Note: The District is strongly committed to achieving staff diversity and the principles of equal employment opportunity. The District encourages a diverse pool of applicants and does not discriminate on the basis of national origin, religion, age, gender, gender identity, gender expression, race or ethnicity, color, medical condition, genetic information, ancestry, sexual orientation, marital status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, or because he/she is perceived to have one or more of the foregoing characteristics, or based on association with a person or group with one or more of these actual or perceived characteristics or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law, in any of its policies, procedures or practices. https://www.kccd.edu/human-resources/discrimination-free-work-environment
The District does not provide sponsorship for authorization to work in the United States. Work authorization should be established at the time of application submission.
All applicants must apply online at https://apptrkr.com/3968172. Emails will not be accepted.
To apply for this job please visit apptrkr.com.