Website Kern Community College District
Vice Chancellor, Finance and Administrative Services (CFO)
Kern Community College District
Salary: $174,477.21 – $228,929.22 Annually
Job Number: FY-22-23-00091
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Department: Business Services
Reporting to the Chancellor, and serving as a member of the Chancellor’s Cabinet, the Vice Chancellor, Finance and Administrative Services serves as the chief fiscal officer of the District and has responsibility for District business services. The Vice Chancellor, Finance and Administrative Services directs designated District functions including budgeting, accounting, purchasing, records management, investments, and capital projects planning and construction.
Collaborative LeadershipHas a clear commitment to a collegial environment and inclusion in important decision-making processes. Exhibits a collaborative leadership style with all constituent groups throughout the district to accomplish critical institutional objectives.Values DiversityEmbraces diversity, equity, and inclusion in all its forms as a District-wide value. Focuses on meeting the needs of underserved student and community populations. Seeks diversity in employee positions.Effective Organizational LeadershipIs aware of the complexities of a multi-college district and exhibits an ability to foster cooperation and support between district colleges and allocate resources equitably and effectively.Effective Fiscal and Resource ManagementUnderstands the role of finances in planning, budgeting, assessing, and leading continuous improvement. Effectively manages all resources to advance the purposes of the district. Courage to Lead in Difficult TimesIs an effective, data-informed decision maker and administrator. Is action- and results-oriented, innovative, and creative, and responds to situations in a timely manner, particularly in periods of uncertain funding or disruption.Effectively Motivates OthersExhibits outstanding communication skills, a strong work ethic, positive attitude, and enthusiasm for the work of the organization. Is a successful team builder with a proven ability to motivate members of all constituent groups to perform at their best.Highest Ethics and IntegrityExhibits personal/professional ethics and integrity in all behavior and relationships with a strong sense of transparency, fairness, and equity in all decision making. Effective Leadership in a Multi-College District EnvironmentUnderstands the District Vice Chancellor, Finance and Administrative Services role within the authority structure in a multi-college district. Engages with authority in a creative, innovative, and respectful manner. Takes and gives authority appropriately with the Board of Trustees and both District and campus leadership.
• Represent the District with federal, state, and local government entities such as legal counsel, County Auditor and Treasurer, county offices of education, Self-Insured Schools of California (SISC), Board Finance Committee, Bond Oversight Committee, Board Legislative Committee, and the Chancellor’s Office of the California Community Colleges.
• Work closely with the Chancellor, College Presidents, other administrators and staff at all stages of the budget process, ensuring compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
• Provide expert advice to assist the Chancellor in establishing budget priorities.
• Serve on or chair various District committees such as the Fringe Benefit Committee, and District/college business managers’ meetings.
• Conduct research studies as needed to improve the operational effectiveness of the District, particularly its business systems and process.
• Direct the development and control of the District Budget.
• Direct and supervise all aspects of Business Services and facility development, including the preparation of annual goals and objectives.
• Provide management oversight for accounting, finance, purchasing, and business office functions, including review and documentation of procedures.
• Initiate, interpret, and administer policies and procedures for fiscal affairs, auxiliary services, and other areas of responsibility.
• Ensure timely completion of state and federal mandated reports
• Direct and supervise capital outlay, deferred maintenance, and construction.
• Explore alternative sources of revenue enhancement, including costs reduction strategies, partnerships, and major gifts.
• Assume additional managerial responsibilities as appropriate to the position.
Education and Experience: Any combination of experience and education that would provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the required knowledge and abilities would be:
• Master’s degree from an accredited institution with major coursework in business, accounting, finance, management or related field, and five years of related management experience; OR
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution in business, accounting, finance, management or related field, and a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) license, and five years of related management experience; OR
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution in business, accounting, finance, management or related field, and eight years of progressively responsible and relevant management experience in a large organization.
• Demonstrated sensitivity, knowledge, and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, gender identity, sexual orientation, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of the students we serve and sensitivity to and knowledge and understanding of groups historically underrepresented, and groups who may have experienced discrimination.
• California Community College administrative experience including: overall supervision of the business operations, including accounting, budget, payroll, warehousing and central receiving, parking, risk management, and purchasing.
• Experience with public/private ventures.
• Experience with entrepreneurial approaches to fund development.
• Experience working with oversight Boards and collaborative governance structures
Knowledge and Abilities
• Knowledge of principles and practices of community college business administration, community college finance, automated financial systems, accounting, budgeting, audits, and financial operations.
• Knowledge of Education Code and other codes related to community colleges and sound risk management practices.
• Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate critical budgetary issues to the community, administrators, faculty, staff, students, and the Board of Trustees.
• Knowledge of public/private ventures.
• Knowledge of complex information systems.
• Demonstrated ability to effect innovative solutions to management and operational issues.
• Demonstrated ability to effectively plan and manage the business services operations of a multi-campus community college district.
• Knowledge of the mission of the California Community Colleges.
• Knowledge of federal and California legislation, laws, regulations; and processes impacting higher education.
• Demonstrated ability to maintain cooperative relationships with colleagues; ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with various stakeholder groups in a variety of venues; and the ability to coordinate and facilitate meetings.
SALARY RANGE$ 174,477.21 – $ 228,929.22 annually
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONSFirst Review of Applications: Complete application packets will be accepted until the position is filled; but those received by October 17, 2022 are assured consideration. The College reserves the right to extend time limits or reinitiate the recruitment/selection process at any point.
Completed application packet must include:
• Completed Online Application for Employment form
• Current resume
• Letter of interest (Cover Letter)
• Copy of legible transcripts (Official transcripts will be required upon offer of employment)
• List of five (5) professional references – Listed on application form
• Minimum of five professional references
• Supervisors, direct reports, faculty members, support staff, community members and peers.
• Must provide name, title, preferred email addresses, and preferred phone numbers.
For confidential inquiries, contact:
For additional inquiries please contact:
Vice Chancellor of Human Resources
Kern Community College District
It is the applicant’s responsibility to redact (or remove) any personal information from all documents prior to uploading. This includes Social Security Numbers, Date of Birth, and any photos of the applicant.
Foreign Degree: Applicants with foreign degrees from colleges or universities outside of the United States must have their coursework evaluated by a professional association that is a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) or Academic Credentials Evaluation Institute, INC. (ACEI). A copy of the evaluation must be submitted with your on-line application.
Applicants who require reasonable accommodation to participate in the selection process should contact Human Resources to make the necessary arrangements. https://www.kccd.edu/human-resources/discrimination-free-work-environment
Note: The District is strongly committed to achieving staff diversity and the principles of equal employment opportunity. The District encourages a diverse pool of applicants and does not discriminate on the basis of national origin, religion, age, gender, gender identity, gender expression, race or ethnicity, color, medical condition, genetic information, ancestry, sexual orientation, marital status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, or because he/she is perceived to have one or more of the foregoing characteristics, or based on association with a person or group with one or more of these actual or perceived characteristics or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law, in any of its policies, procedures or practices. https://www.kccd.edu/human-resources/discrimination-free-work-environment
The District does not provide sponsorship for authorization to work in the United States. Work authorization should be established at the time of application submission.
All applicants must apply online at https://apptrkr.com/3761011. Emails will not be accepted.
To apply for this job please visit apptrkr.com.