Website Kern Community College District
Director Outreach Services (BC)
Kern Community College District
Salary: $108,959.09 – $142,963.77 Annually
Job Type: Full Time
Job Number: FY22-2300246
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Under the general direction of the Vice President of Student Affairs, the Director of Outreach Services provides the leadership and direction to establish a comprehensive outreach program for Bakersfield College. The Director of Outreach Services develops, implements, and evaluates a college-wide outreach plan that including pre-collegiate student success programming; academic and student success pipeline programs; recruitment and communication materials; outreach and presence at schools and community organizations. The Director of Outreach Services shall develop and facilitate the outreach efforts of the college including core component of outreach such as participation in special events and college fairs; providing pre-collegiate programs and services (including as on-site enrollment assistance at local high schools and community agencies); offering campus tours, organizing special registration events, and developing a campus Welcome Center.
Manages and provides vision and expertise for concurrent enrollment programs, course articulation agreements, and dual enrollment to the campus, local schools, and community groups.
Develops, schedules, and coordinates all outreach efforts conducted by the college. Included may be class presentations in high schools by individual faculty members, training exercises for elementary or junior high school students by athletic teams, performances by college musical groups at local schools or community agencies, joint meetings of faculty from the college and local schools in specific discipline and special events such as High School Principals Breakfast, Counselors’ Conferences, etc. Organizes, creates, and distributes a college-wide schedule of outreach opportunities and events.
Establishes and maintains relationships with the local independent school districts and community partners; develops relationships within and outside the college to develop and sustain student recruitment and outreach partnerships. Works with the administrators, teachers and counselors at schools in Kern County, collaborative units at the College, student organizations and departments to improve the quality of outreach and diversity efforts and to deepen stakeholder partnerships across sectors. Schedules and coordinates: “Going to College” activities with other local colleges and participation in college fairs, and special events such as the High School Principals Breakfast, the High School Counselors event in the fall, or College Night.
Develops and manages possible on-site programs including potential peer-mentoring programs, enrollment and academic advisement, etc. at local high schools or community agencies. Maintains a system and database for tracking prospective students beginning at the initial contact, through follow-up, until enrollment.
Develops and manages recruitment efforts with student services and academic departments. Assist with the planning and implementation of recruitment strategies to meet the College’s enrollment goals. Travel to attend college fairs and other recruitment events; assist in planning receptions; implement an effective communication plan to attract students; conduct specialized campus visits for visitors; follow up with inquires, applicants, and admits to improve yield, conduct effective presentations and workshops; interpret existing policies and procedures and apply them for appropriate course of action. Produces comprehensive reports, summaries and evaluations related to all high school outreach and community partner outreach activities.
In collaboration with appropriate College departments, develops and distributes appropriate recruitment material such as the Career Path brochures and other materials to communicate with potential students, motivate them to attend college and encourage college preparation activities. Establish targeted recruitment possibilities for special or under-served populations, including migrant populations, veterans, etc.
Assists with public information and marketing activities for college departments.
Trains and supervises the work of staff and students.
Assists in formulating operational plans and budgets; administers approved budget.
Performs related duties as assigned.
• Master’s degree from an accredited college/university, with major coursework in business administration, education, communication, or a related field.
• Five years of increasingly responsible professional/management level experience in an educational setting that demonstrates administrative prowess and the ability to work with a diverse student body, and the initiative to develop and create new programs and collaborative services.
• Some demonstrated experiences with public relations, marketing, event management and/or sales.
• Doctorate Degree.
• Bilingual Spanish/English writing and interpersonal communication skills.
Knowledge and Abilities
• Knowledge of procedures and operations of California Community Colleges.
• Knowledge of principles and practices of supervision, training, and evaluation.
• Knowledge of principles of public speaking, marketing, communications, or sales.
• Knowledge of interpersonal skills using tact, patience, and courtesy.
• Demonstrated ability to effectively interact with persons of diverse socioeconomic and ethnic backgrounds.
• Ability to envision and effectively organize and supervise the day-to-day operation of Outreach Services. Develop, implement, and assess outreach goals and outcomes.
• Ability to understand, communicate, and explain college programs and procedures.
• Ability to work independently and with initiative while creating new programs and opportunities.
• Ability to plan and organize work. Prioritize and schedule work; train and provide work directions to others.
• Ability to maintain records and prepare reports and procedural documentation.
• Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
• Ability to represent the college in a professional manner.
• Ability to establish and maintain collaborative and effective working relationships with a variety of college staff and community partners.
SALARY RANGE$ 108,959.09 – $ 142,963.77 annuallyMaximum Entry Level Salary: $ 114,475.14 annually
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONSFirst Review of Applications: Complete application packets will be accepted until the position is filled; but those received by January2, 2023 are assured consideration. The College reserves the right to extend time limits or reinitiate the recruitment/selection process at any point.Completed application packet must include:
• Completed Online Application for Employment form
• Current resume
• Letter of interest (Cover Letter)
• Copy of legible transcripts, if applicable
• List of five (5) professional references – Listed on application form
It is the applicant’s responsibility to redact (or remove) any personal information from all documents prior to uploading. This includes Social Security Numbers, Date of Birth, and any photos of the applicant.
Foreign Degree: Applicants with foreign degrees from colleges or universities outside of the United States must have their coursework evaluated by a professional association that is a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) or Academic Credentials Evaluation Institute, INC. (ACEI). A copy of the evaluation must be submitted with your on-line application.
Applicants who require reasonable accommodation to participate in the selection process should contact Human Resources to make the necessary arrangements. https://www.kccd.edu/human-resources/discrimination-free-work-environment
Note: The District is strongly committed to achieving staff diversity and the principles of equal employment opportunity. The District encourages a diverse pool of applicants and does not discriminate on the basis of national origin, religion, age, gender, gender identity, gender expression, race or ethnicity, color, medical condition, genetic information, ancestry, sexual orientation, marital status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, or because he/she is perceived to have one or more of the foregoing characteristics, or based on association with a person or group with one or more of these actual or perceived characteristics or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law, in any of its policies, procedures or practices. https://www.kccd.edu/human-resources/discrimination-free-work-environment
The District does not provide sponsorship for authorization to work in the United States. Work authorization should be established at the time of application submission.
All applicants must apply online at https://apptrkr.com/3744496. Emails will not be accepted.
To apply for this job please visit apptrkr.com.