Website Kern Community College District
Deputy Chief Information Officer (DO)
Kern Community College District
Salary: $142,995.65 – $187,622.69 Annually
Job Type: Full Time
Job Number: FY22-2300293
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Department: Information Technology Services
The Deputy Chief Information Officer is a senior IT role that reports to the Chief information Officer (CIO) in managing daily operations and providing professional direction and leadership for technology projects and partnerships that support the strategic vision of KCCD, with a focus on leading innovations in technology and implementing technology-focused partnerships that benefit specific district priorities and goals.
1. Research, propose, and lead implementation of transformative new educationally focused technologies that support KCCD’s strategic vision.
2. Anticipate changes in the higher education industry and technological advancement and promote educational technology solutions that will position KCCD to advance its strategic vision, mission, and goals.
3. Establish strategic partnerships, with vendors and other colleges to identify opportunities for collaboration that would support KCCD’s strategic vision.
4. Establish and oversee processes to utilize current functionality to enhance capabilities and functional processes with new and advanced applications solutions.
5. Collaborate with executive leadership and functional experts to understand business processes and operations and suggest innovative approaches that support KCCD’s strategic vision.
6. Evaluate, approve, and oversee implementation of highly complex technical approaches and solutions involving cloud applications, programming, DevOps, and can include network, security and other elements of IT solutions.
7. Provide leadership to high-value cross-functional strategic initiatives.
8. Collaborate with stakeholders to enable the District to achieve its objectives through the effective use of technology.
9. Build confidence in IT by creating a track record of accomplishment.
10. Assist in the development, updating, and implementation of the District Technology Plan in consultation with appropriate constituent groups including faculty, administrators, and staff.
11. Develop and oversee budgets for assigned projects and any assigned operational areas.
12. Select, train, supervise, and conduct regular evaluations of all assigned personnel; ensure ongoing training for personnel to maintain up-to-date technical expertise.
13. Build sustainable digital environments to enable agility and growth.
14. Serve on District committees as assigned. Represent the District at local, regional, state, and national meetings/conferences as appropriate.
15. Perform other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Computer Science, Business, Management Information Systems or a related field.
Four (4) years of increasingly responsible experience in an Information Technology leadership position.
Master’s degree from an accredited college or university in Computer Science, Business, Management Information Systems or related field.
Six (6) years of experience in one or more of the following technology areas: System Administration, Network Administration, Help Desk, Enterprise Resource Planning Systems, Programming/Web Development, Data Warehousing, and/or Security.
Experience in a higher education environment.
Knowledge and Abilities
Knowledge of California Community Colleges and higher education industry trends.
Knowledge of information technology and its application in higher education including both instructional and administrative systems.
Knowledge of prevailing and emerging information technologies including but not limited to products, vendors, best practices, implementation strategies and infrastructure options appropriate to the higher education environment.
Knowledge of principles, practices and techniques of information systems management including applications design, programming, hardware, and software options for administrative and business-oriented applications.
Knowledge of principles and theories of network design, management, modern network standards, hardware and software.
Knowledge and experience in evaluating, selecting, implementing and supporting instructional technology.
Knowledge and principles of change management and change leadership.
Knowledge of cloud-based services and providers, preferably Amazon Web Services, including architecture, capabilities and tooling.
Knowledge of security-related best practices for assigned areas and technologies.
Knowledge of current principles, practices, and standards of planning and project management.
Knowledge of Section 508 Accessibility requirements.
Knowledge of District organization, operations, policies and objectives.
Ability to plan, organize, and direct daily operations of assigned areas.
Ability to develop and manage operational and project budgets.
Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
Ability to maintain records and prepare reports.
Ability to prioritize and schedule work.
Ability to analyze situations and adopt an effective course of action.
Ability to establish effective working relationships at all levels of the institution.
Ability to encourage professional excellence among the staff and promote an organizational culture of customer service, innovation, and quality services.
Ability to perform complex analysis and research, identify alternative solutions, forecast consequences of proposed actions and implement recommendations in support of goals.
Ability to follow-up and follow-through in a coordinating role across multiple constituencies to achieve tactical and strategic goals.
Ability to address technical issues in non-technical terms.
Excellent analytical, planning, and organizational skills.
Excellent oral and written communication skills.
SALARY RANGE$ 142,995.65 – $ 187,622.69 annuallyMaximum Entry Level Salary: $ 150,234.81 annually
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONSFirst Review of Applications: Complete application packets will be accepted until the position is filled; but those received by May 10, 2023 are assured consideration. The College reserves the right to extend time limits or reinitiate the recruitment/selection process at any point.
Completed application packet must include:
Completed Online Application for Employment form
Letter of interest (Cover Letter)
Copy of legible transcripts, if applicable
List of five (5) professional references – Listed on application form
It is the applicant’s responsibility to redact (or remove) any personal information from all documents prior to uploading. This includes Social Security Numbers, Date of Birth, and any photos of the applicant.
Foreign Degree: Applicants with foreign degrees from colleges or universities outside of the United States must have their coursework evaluated by a professional association that is a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) or Academic Credentials Evaluation Institute, INC. (ACEI). A copy of the evaluation must be submitted with your on-line application.
Applicants who require reasonable accommodation to participate in the selection process should contact Human Resources to make the necessary arrangements. EEO Plan 2021-2024
Note: The District is strongly committed to achieving staff diversity and the principles of equal employment opportunity. The District encourages a diverse pool of applicants and does not discriminate on the basis of national origin, religion, age, gender, gender identity, gender expression, race or ethnicity, color, medical condition, genetic information, ancestry, sexual orientation, marital status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, or because he/she is perceived to have one or more of the foregoing characteristics, or based on association with a person or group with one or more of these actual or perceived characteristics or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law, in any of its policies, procedures or practices. Discrimination Free Work Environment
The District does not provide sponsorship for authorization to work in the United States. Work authorization should be established at the time of application submission.
All applicants must apply online at https://www.schooljobs.com/careers/kccd/jobs/4017517/deputy-chief-information-officer-do. Emails will not be accepted.
To apply for this job please visit apptrkr.com.