Website Contra Costa Community College District
Sports Medicine Program Manager
Posting Number: 0001904
Location: Diablo Valley College
Salary: $107,076, step 1 – $130,452, step 5 per year (see special instructions for step placement)
Under general direction of a higher-level manager, the Sports Medicine Program Manager is responsible for the planning, organization and administration of the sports medicine/athletic training program. This position manages and evaluates assigned faculty and staff, in conformance with appropriate policies and procedures.
The Sports Medicine Program Manager formulates and implements program objectives and planning; integrates sports medicine/athletic training curriculum into training room laboratory practices; coordinates student athlete health and welfare and oversees the services and operations of the training room facility and fitness center laboratory. This position ensures compliance with all applicable federal and state regulations, procedures and policies established by the District, the California Community Colleges Commission on Athletics (CCCAA) and the National Athletic Trainers Association Board of Certification (NATABOC).
- Examples of Duties/Essential Functions:
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
Oversees the development of preventative, rehabilitative and emergency medical care programs for student athletes, under the direction of the team physician.
- Advises athletic trainers on techniques related to injury prevention, care and conditioning; provides direction to the athletic equipment staff as necessary concerning proper fit of protective athletic equipment.
- Responds to medical emergencies; administers CPR and emergency first aid and provides guidance to athletic trainers in the determination of treatment level.
- Serves as the primary coordinator of student athlete health and welfare team (Doctors, therapists, college health resources, counselors, nutritionists, emergency medical coverage); advises and consult athletic administration on all major injuries and injuries not covered by the student-athletes insurance.
- Oversees the Physical and CCCAA Eligibility Clearance Process for all student athletes annually.
- Conducts periodic needs assessment for athletic training services.
- Implements and manages online medical documentation systems (per the Health Information and Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) and other appropriate standards).
- Develops and oversees all operational policies and procedures within the athletic training room.
- Develops and updates the Emergency Medical Action Plan and develops procedures for training and implementation of the plan.
- Develops and recommends program policies and procedures to the athletic administration for implementation, ensuring compliance with provisions of the applicable California Community Collegiate Athletic Association (CCCAA), Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) and Health Information and Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA).
- Provides supervision, work direction and training to athletic trainers including assisting in employee selection, scheduling, work assignments, payroll, approval of leave and vacation, oversight of certification compliance, professional development and performance evaluations.
- Oversees the management and maintenance of the athletic training facilities and equipment, meeting OSHA and other applicable standards.
- Attends a variety of meetings as required; serves on committees and special projects as assigned; coordinates programs and services as appropriate with other District and college personnel.
- Represents the District as an active member and participant at local, regional and state meetings; attends conference meetings for management as required.
- Develops and monitors the sports medicine/athletic training budget including equipment purchasing and maintenance, supplies and athletic training facility needs.
- Assists with the program review process.
- Provides support to the sports medicine/athletic training curriculum by providing clinical instruction to students enrolled in athletic training curriculum.
- Collaborates with the sports medicine program chair to facilitate internship experience for sports medicine students.
Possession of a Master’s degree from an accredited college in exercise science, epidemiology, athletic training, sports medicine or a related field. Possession of, or the ability to obtain, a valid California Driver’s license. Active BOC certification as an Athletic Trainer.
Equivalent to at least three (3) years of experience in sports science medicine/athletic training with some responsibility in program administration.
- Knowledge Of:
Methods, practices, terminology, procedures and techniques used in sports medicine/athletic training activities including prevention of injuries
- Applicable federal, state, local, District and college laws, rules and regulations and collective bargaining contract provisions
- Principles and practices of administrative organization and management, planning, supervising and evaluating the work of others, employee motivation and training
- Policies, procedures and objectives of sports medicine programs
- Advanced principles of anatomy and physiology
- Symptoms of various athletic injuries and applicable treatment and first-aid methods
- Various types of therapeutic treatments, equipment and conditioning progress
- Rules and regulations applicable to safe equipment operation and maintenance
- Report and presentation writing
- Record keeping techniques
- Inventory control and budget preparation
- Ability To:
Lead in the development and implementation of a program for the prevention of injuries to athletes
- Administer first-aid and emergency medical care
- Treat injuries and provide rehabilitation according to authorized medical directions
- Supervise athletic trainers and interns
- Manage financial resources effectively including determining how best to utilize resources and managing budgets and expenditures
- Operate standard office equipment with various software, such as database, word processing, spreadsheet, and website management software
- Read, interpret, apply and explain rules, regulations, policies and procedures
- Analyze situations accurately and adopt an effective course of action
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the performance of duties.
- Demonstrate understanding of, sensitivity to, and respect for the diverse academic, socio-economic, race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, politics, philosophy, disability, and religious background of all students, faculty and staff
Education/Training Possession of an advanced Master’s (non-MAT) or Doctoral degree from an accredited college in administration, athletic training, exercise science, kinesiology, physical education, sports medicine or a related field.
Possession of a National Provider Identifier (NPI) number.
Possession of an NSCAA CSCS (Certified Strength and Conditioning
Specialist) and/or NASM PES (Performance Enhancement Specialist).
Work Experience: At least three (3) years of experience as an athletic
trainer in the collegiate and/or professional setting. At least three (3) years of experience in program
administration/supervision of sports medicine and/or athletic training programs. Experience with the collection of data and the use of information systems as related to sports medicine and/or athletic training programs. Experience supervising/working with students from athletic training or other healthcare programs.
Note: New employees will be placed at the first step which is $107,076 per year, second step $112,500 per year or third step at $118,200 per year (depending upon experience). Based on current salary placement guidelines, all step increases for which an employee becomes eligible shall take place on July 1st of each fiscal year. These increases will occur, on annual basis, until the maximum step of $130,452 per year is reached on the salary schedule.
YEARLY SALARY: $$107,076 $130,452
Job Close Date: 10/13/2023
Open Until Filled: No
To apply, visit https://www.4cdcareers.net/postings/9880
To apply for this job please visit apptrkr.com.