Website College of the Desert
Director, Human Resources & Employee Relations
Job Type: Leadership
Department: Office of Human Resources
Under the direction of the area administrator, plans, organizes, coordinates, directs, and provides leadership for the Human Resources functions of the District. The Director is responsible for the clear articulation of District personnel policies, procedures, collective bargaining agreement, and applicable laws and regulations to administrators and employees to ensure compliance and effective Human Resources administration.
The duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them form the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to this class.
- Coordinates the day-to-day operations of the Human Resources Department including recruitment and selection, equal opportunity and diversity outreach, compensation and classification, personnel processing, recordkeeping, personnel policies, performance management, employee recognition, contract administration and employee relations;
- Assists in selecting, training, supervising, and evaluating the performance of assigned staff; recommend transfers, reassignments, discipline, terminations, promotions and other personnel actions as appropriate.
- Oversees and administers the evaluation and the maintenance of the classification system, including salary and classification studies, implementation of salary schedules, classification review, development and maintenance of job descriptions and position control; supervises the coordination of reclassification of all existing and new positions and position responsibilities, according to established policies and procedures.
- Coordinates the development, implementation and modification of the human resources information system for the management of employee, retiree, contractor and related HR records and documentation; serves as department lead in the continued implementation of human resources information systems; facilitates continued modification following implementation.
- Coordinates the handling of disciplinary matters; counsels managers, supervisors, and employees on District policies, practices, discipline, and performance evaluation matters; investigates grievances or complaints and prepares written reports/responses.
- Assists in ensuring compliance with the District’s Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Plan in various aspects of employment and education, including compliance with American with Disabilities Act (ADA), sexual harassment, discrimination, Title IX, and EEO; encourage cultural and ethnic diversity in staffing, programs, and services.
- Assist in directing functions associated with risk management as assigned and the benefit program, providing service and information regarding salary, classification, range and step increases, leaves, unemployment insurance, health and welfare and retirement. Articulates with Payroll Department as needed to ensure proper salary and benefit payments
- Develop and coordinate the gathering and analysis of data used in contract negotiations, special projects, and reports; participate in negotiations and contract administration; interpret bargaining unit contracts, Memoranda of Understanding, Administrative and Board policies.
- Participates in the preparation of the annual budget; supervises its implementation and maintenance.
- Meet schedules and timelines, organizes multiple projects efficiently and effectively and carries out required project details throughout the year.
- Participates in shared governance and collaborates on a variety of institutional issues including employee relations, HR administration, union relations, collective bargaining agreements and related HR topics.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution in business administration, public administration, human resources or a related field; AND
- Four (4) years of increasingly responsible human resources experience; three (3) years of which must have been at the level of supervisor or higher within a HR department.
- Human Resources experience in public higher education, including community college, is preferred.
- Master’s degree preferred.
- Human Resources administration and practices in public higher education.
- Mediation and negotiation skills
- Using and applying Human Resource Information System technology.
- Job evaluation and classification techniques.
- Compensation practices, methods and techniques.
- Applicable federal and state laws, rules and regulations.
- California Ed Code and Title 5 requirements relating to personnel activities
- Principles and practices of supervision, training, performance evaluation and discipline.
- Leadership, team building, motivation and conflict resolution principles.
- Collective bargaining and labor relations in the public sector.
- Fair employment practices and recruitment and selection procedures leading to a diverse pool of qualified applicants.
SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Understanding of, sensitivity to, and respect for the diverse academic, socio-economic, ethnic, religious, and cultural backgrounds, disability, and sexual orientation of community college students, faculty and staff.
- Demonstrated success in labor relations/negotiations.
- Organize and direct workflow.
- Communicate effectively and persuasively both orally and in writing with faculty, staff, administrators, constituents and representatives.
- Effectively mediate disputes and resolve conflict.
- Read, interpret, and explain laws, rules and regulations, and to develop and implement personnel policies and procedures.
- Demonstrate initiative, creativity, and assertiveness in developing and implementing new programs.
- Manage a number of projects and issues simultaneously.
- Prioritize and organize information.
- Work effectively under pressure.
- Work with difficult individuals.
- Demonstrated success with extensive public contact with individuals, small groups and large groups.
- Conduct complex data comparison, analysis and synthesis.
- Attend to detail.
- Maintain an understanding of current ideas, trends, and practices pertaining to the areas of responsibility through continued study and participation in professional organizations.
- Demonstrated flexibility and adaptability.
- Perform with tact, patience and sensitivity.
Working Conditions: Environment:
- Office environment.
- Extended periods of time sitting.
Full Time/Part Time:
Weekly Working Hours: 40
Work Schedule & Hours: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday – 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
Salary Schedule Range: Leadership Salary Schedule, Range X
Posting Number: 22-038
Interview Date: 09/15/2022
Posting Open Date: 05/25/2022
Posting Close Date: 8/28/2022
Open Until Filled: Yes
REQUIRED REFERENCES: Professional References should include at least: 2 supervisors, 2 direct reports, 2 management level colleagues, 2 faculty. Include name, title, relationship and current phone numbers. Applicants from sectors other than education should submit comparable references.REQUIRED DOCUMENTS:
- Resume: Must include length of employment (month/year start & end dates) for each employer.
- Cover Letter: Please address how you meet the minimum requirements for this position and any special qualifications you possess.
- College Transcripts: For consideration of college coursework, transcripts must be attached. Transcripts must be from an accredited institution and include institution name, degree awarded, and date degree awarded. Diplomas will not be accepted in lieu of transcripts.
Complete qualifying applications must be received by August 28, 2022 for first consideration. The posting may remain open after the date.
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/3634189
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
To apply for this job please visit apptrkr.com.