Website San Diego Community College District
Vice President, Instructional Services
San Diego Community College District
Closing Date: 2/22/2021
Position Number: 008078
Location: San Diego Miramar College
Position Type: Academic
Under the general supervision of the President, plan, organize, coordinate and direct instructional programs at the San Diego Miramar College.
Incumbents also may act as chief administrative officer for the college in the absence of the President, as assigned.
• Plan, organize, administer and evaluate the curriculum and instructional support programs of the various schools at the college campus.
• Manage and evaluate Deans of all instructional programs.
• Develop annual budget recommendations according to established procedures; allocate, monitor and control assigned program budgets and expenditures.
• Establish overall goals, objectives, and plans; initiate and participate in overall program planning; assess needs for new programs/services; facilitate their development and implementation in accordance with established approval guidelines and budgets.
• Direct the implementation of new programs; evaluate and recommend revision of college curricula and courses.
• Provide leadership in developing and managing strategic enrollment plans.
• Communicate and interpret program objectives and offerings to potential students, community organizations, students, staff, instructors, managers and others.
• Serve as a member of District, site or other committees and task forces; maintain liaison with other site and District administration to assure proper coordination of activities; promote sharing of ideas and communication of successful operating practices with others in similar positions inside and outside the District.
• Prepare staff assignments and schedules; assign work locations in accordance with established District policy.
• Supervise the hiring process and evaluation of new faculty and staff; supervise the planning, coordination and implementation of the orientation and in-service education for professional development of assigned staff.
• Prepare reports and make presentations as necessary; assure the preparation, distribution and maintenance of required reports, records and files.
• Represent the District and participate at the local, state and national levels in organizations and activities that improve, promote and publicize District instructional/instructional support programs.
• Coordinate and direct special projects as assigned; initiate studies and conduct analyses as necessary to determine the need for new or modified course offerings, programs or services.
• Direct the evaluation of facilities and equipment and recommend improvement.
• Supervise and facilitate the resolution of student, instructor and staff conflicts, complaints and grievances.
• Perform related duties as assigned.
• Instructional principles and techniques.
• Goals and objectives of assigned programs.
• Governance systems for California community college districts.
• Supervision, management and public administration principles.
• Local, state and federal laws governing programs and services of community college districts.
• Trends in educational program offerings.
• Delivery systems for instructional programs and services.
• Goals of the District’s educational master plan.
• District’s collective bargaining process.
• Technical aspects of the instructional program.
• District organization, policies and procedures.
• Public relations and marketing techniques.
Skills and Abilities:
• Develop and implement schedules for programs and services.
• Evaluate instructional needs of District clientele.
• Interpret and apply local, state and federal regulations, and District policies and procedures which relate to instructional services.
• Display strong leadership skills.
• Maintain excellent interpersonal relations with college, program, and District staff, students and community groups.
• Select, assign, train, supervise and evaluate staff.
• Develop and direct delivery systems and implementation procedures for instructional programs and services.
• Develop budget recommendations and administer and control adopted budget.
• Demonstrate analytical and assessment abilities.
• Influence and persuade people to follow a prescribed course of action.
• Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
Training and Experience:
• Any combination of training and experience equivalent to: qualification for a California Community College Supervisor Credential and five years of increasingly responsible experience in managing an instructional program in an institution of higher education.
Both of the following: (a) Master’s degree; AND (b) One year of formal training, internship, or leadership experience reasonably related to the administrator’s administrative assignment
President P. Wesley Lundburg invites all qualified candidates to apply for the position of Vice President, Instructional Services at San Diego Miramar College. San Diego Miramar College is a fast‐growing and innovative college with a freshly adopted focus on equity, diversity, and inclusion as it moves into a new era. We are looking for a VP of Instruction who is deeply committed to student success and identifying and then implementing continuously improved plans for increasing access to higher education for all demographics, but particularly ensuring access for underprivileged students. At the core, we are looking for a VP of Instruction who can demonstrate evidence of the following desired qualifications:
1. Experience developing, implementing, and managing a broad range of instructional services and programs that include academic, career, and technical education.
2. Demonstrated ability to lead equity minded instructional activities by including enrollment management, program review, and outcomes assessment.
3. Demonstrated ability to build consensus with a leadership style that is inclusive and collaborative while effectively contributing in a participatory governance environment.
4. Experience developing budgets and prioritizing resources that promote an instructional culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
5. Experience interpreting and applying local, state and federal regulations, initiatives, and District policies and procedures.
6. Knowledge of student enrollment trends for academic, career and technical education programs that will meet the needs of a diverse community and its partners.
7. Experience successfully managing and implementing collective bargaining agreements.
8. Demonstrated experience and knowledge with college instruction and techniques.
9. Experience with conflict resolution, mediation amongst groups or individuals, facilitating civil, constructive, and collaborative resolutions.
10. Demonstrated cultural competency, sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, faculty and classified professionals.
• Valid California driver’s license
• California Community College Supervisory Credential (If applicable).
Range 20 ($10,927.64 – $17,784.93) per month based on the current Management Salary Schedule.
Initial salary placement is commensurate with related experience and promotional rules. The District offers a comprehensive fringe benefit package including employer paid: medical, dental, and vision plans; sick and vacation leave; and opportunities for professional development. Initial Salary Placement, Promoted or transferred employees will be placed as specified in the Management Employees Handbook. This position is FLSA Exempt and may not accrue overtime. The SDCCD Employment Web Page provides a link to employee collective bargaining agreements and handbooks, and more information about terms and conditions of employment to include salary and benefits.
To apply, visit: https://apptrkr.com/2119726
All applicants must have demonstrated cultural competency and sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students and staff.
To apply for this job please visit apptrkr.com.