Website PERALTA COMMUNITY COLLEGE DISTRICT
PERALTA COMMUNITY COLLEGE DISTRICT
CHIEF TECHNOLOGY & INFORMATION SYSTEMS OFFICER
(Management Salary Range 4)
District Administrative Center
To apply for this position, please visit our career site at: https://peraltaccd.peopleadmin.com/postings/5238
The Chief Technology and Information Systems Officer is responsible for the organization and management of the information technology services and operations of the District. The Chief Technology and Information Systems Officer is charged with the satisfactory implementation of Board Policy and District procedures as applicable to the position. The incumbent is expected to participate in the formation of District policies and procedures by making appropriate recommendations for improvement and/or additions that enhance the efficiency and effectiveness of the district information technology services and operations to support the mission of the District.
The Chief Technology and Information Systems Officer is responsible for providing a vision and leadership for the integration of information technology services consistent with the District’s overall mission and program needs. The incumbent will provide leadership for instructional technology, administrative computing, desktop support, user training, web support, and communications technology. He/She will work collaboratively with District constituent groups in setting priorities for the deployment of information technology to carry out the instructional and administrative goals and objectives of the District. Responsibilities also include representing the District in state, regional, and vendor information forums; keeping abreast of information technology developments and their appropriate applications within the District; and planning and implementing campus information technology infrastructure upgrades. This position reports to the Chancellor and is a member of the Chancellor’s Cabinet.
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL DUTIES:
Any one position may not include all of the duties listed, nor do listed examples include all tasks which may be found in positions of this class. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty of the position satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions required for the position.
- Provide leadership for technology-related initiatives and services that support student leaning, faculty teaching, scholarship, and administrative processes, including the development, administration and management of technology systems for student registration, student records, attendance accounting, grade reporting and transcript histories consistent with Board Policies, District procedures, and State and Federal regulations.
- Ensure that implementation of technology will occur in an integrated manner designed for the benefit of both academic and administrative purposes.
Job Description: Chief Technology & Information Systems Officer
- Provides technical advice and guidance on the design, installation, modification, and operation of college-based information systems, academic and communication projects and equipment.
- Collaborates with faculty and staff in efforts to improve teaching, learning and service to students through technology.
- Provide leadership for and share information about intermediate and long-range technology trends that impact on instructional, student support and administrative services in the district and recommend infrastructure adjustments congruent with those trends to meet user needs.
- Facilitate and assist in coordinating district-wide technology aspects and requirements of smart classrooms implementation projects.
- Provide leadership in the selection, design, implementation and integration of information systems throughout the District.
- Facilitate communication regarding technology issues throughout the campuses and District.
- Develop and disseminate policies, standards, and procedures related to information technology.
- Coordinate the activities (serves as Chairperson) of the District’s technology advisory groups, and assist them in the creation, implementation, evaluation and periodic updating of the District’s Strategic Technology Plan.
- Provide leadership in the development and support of distance education technologies throughout the District; facilitate cooperative planning and implementation of distance education initiatives between the institutions.
- Supervise and appropriately assign district-level IT staff.
- Function as a liaison between the District and the College user community to coordinate voice- video-data services on the District’s Wide Area Network/Local Area Networks with particular attention to matters related to district-wide services including the coordination of LAN/WAN and Internet operational issues:
- Prepare state reports on district technology
- Oversees and leads implementation of the college’s strategic plan for technology, including improvement of instruction and services via appropriate staffing, training, and hardware & software acquisitions, leasing, and equipment repair.
- Represent the Chancellor at state and national meetings dealing with technology issues.
- Serve on state and regional technology committees.
- Provide regular status reports to the Board of Trustees and the District and College communities concerning Enterprise Information Technology implementation, policies and operations.
- Meet regularly with the college administrators responsible for Technology at their sites and provide advice and counsel relative to technology issues.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Chancellor.
1. Possession of a Master’s Degree from an accredited college or university with at least three (3) years increasingly responsible experience in a leadership position related to higher education information technology services and extensive network systems.
Possession of a Bachelor’s Degree with at leave five (5) years increasingly responsible experience in a leadership position related to higher education information technology services and extensive network systems.
2. Demonstrated increasingly responsible project management experience with supervision of multiple teams.
3. Knowledge of:
- Project management and organizational skills:
- Ability to develop and maintain effective strategies for information systems and services
- Ability to monitor major projects with broad institutional impact
- Ability in major software and hardware systems procurement
- Ability to develop and manage departmental budgets
- Ability to work independently without close supervision
- Communication skills:
- Ability to communicate clearly, both orally and in writing
- Ability to address technical issues in non-technical terms
- Ability to develop and make comprehensible presentations to a diverse audience
- Technical abilities:
- Knowledge of data-processing applications, methods and standards
- General knowledge of methods of modern information systems design
- Knowledge of educational administrative software systems (Oracle/PeopleSoft preferred)
- Knowledge of modern computer hardware and software, including cloud-based services and their delivery
- Knowledge of modern data communications network systems and VOIP
- Knowledge of instructional technology delivery systems
- Management and social skills:
- Ability to establish effective working relationships at all levels of the institution
- Ability to delegate responsibility and ensure accountability for performance standards and adherence to schedules and deadlines
- Ability to inspire strong performance among colleagues and subordinates
4. Understanding of, sensitivity to, and respect for the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, differently disabled, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students.
- Prior experience in higher education management that has included curriculum and student support program development.
- Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Business Administration or a related field.
- Thorough knowledge of academic institutions and best practices in technology in peer institutions.
- Working knowledge of the State and Federal codes, statutes and regulations that govern California community college instructional and student learning programs, including those relevant to the role of the Academic Senate in issues of participatory governance.
- Administrative and leadership experience with Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) applications software, (e.g., Oracle/PeopleSoft Human Resources, Financials, & Student Administration systems) or related systems.
- Higher education experience, preferably in a California community college.
- Strong ability to work in a team with excellent customer service attitude and good verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated successful experience in problem solving and analytical skills using complex enterprise systems.
- Demonstrated successful experience in resolving complex user problems.
- Experience managing large projects.
- Experience in managing employees covered by union contract.
- Experience with mainframe and web-based technology.
Occasional work performed alone. Constant work around and with other people.
The position requires prolonged sitting, standing, walking, reaching, twisting, and turning, kneeling, bending, squatting and stooping in the performance of daily activities. Also, the position requires grasping, repetitive hand movement and finger coordination in keeping records and preparing reports using a computer keyboard. Additionally, the position requires near and far vision in reading written reports and work-related documents, and acute hearing is required when providing phone and personal service.
These requirements are governed by statutes covering reasonable accommodation for persons with qualified disabilities.
Ability to work and cooperate with faculty, students, managers, the public and employees at all levels in order to exchange ideas, information and opinions.
This position description has been prepared to assist in defining job responsibilities, physical demands, working conditions and skills as needed. It is not intended to serve as a complete list of job duties, responsibilities and/or essential functions.
We are an EOE.
To apply for this job please visit peraltaccd.peopleadmin.com.