Website Kern Community College District
Vice Chancellor, Educational Services
Kern Community College District
Salary: See Position Description
Job Type: Full Time
Job Number: FY21-22-00691
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Department: Educational Services
The Vice Chancellor, Educational Services, reports directly to the Chancellor and serves as the chief academic and student services officer of the District and serves as the accreditation liaison with the Colleges. The Vice Chancellor provides overall leadership and utilizes data in planning, organizing, reviewing, coordinating, and evaluating district-wide instructional and student services programs and the development and implementation of policies and procedures of the District. It is expected that decisions are consistent with the Strategic Plan, California Education Code, Title 5, and Board policies. It is essential for this leader to have the ability to inspire and connect with all constituency groups across the District.
1. Oversees the development and implementation of the district educational and student services policies and participates in the formulation of organizational objectives, plans and strategies in accordance with the district’s mission.
2. Provides leadership for the development of instructional and instructional related programs, and student services. Make recommendations to Colleges and recommend course and program approvals from the District’s colleges to the Chancellor for approval by the Kern Community College District Board and submission to the California Community Colleges Chancellor’s Office. Maintain an inventory of approved programs.
3. Facilitate student success and student equity by working in collaboration with the colleges and the college vice presidents.
4. Directs the timely and accurate preparation of records, reports, summaries and projections of data related to instructional and student services, funding, and the implementation of short- and long-range plans.
5. Provides administrative leadership for accreditation.
6. Ensures action plans and program review processes for academic and student support programs are completed and evaluated in a thorough and timely manner and those results are integrated into the strategic staffing, facilities, and budgetary planning processes of the District.
7. Coordinate and supervise the development of the academic calendars and student fees for the District’s colleges.
8. Utilizing data evaluate and recommend programs, standards, policies, and procedures within the parameters of state and federal laws to meet District goals for assigned instructional and student programs and services.
9. Communicate and interpret instructional policies and procedures to administrators, faculty, and staff; communicate with government agencies and other education institutions to identify and research issues, interpret and explain policies, provide technical expertise, and exchange information.
10. Encourages and works to inspire innovation in teaching and learning.
11. Ensures evaluation procedures for academic personal are consistent with negotiated agreements and District policies and procedures.
12. Acts as a resource to District negotiating teams and serves on teams as needed, assists in the preparation of proposals and ensures compliance with collective bargaining agreements.
13. Prepare, submit, and administer budgets for assigned area and categorical and grant programs and funding; monitor and control expenditures; and assure proper maintenance of audit trails, documentation, and financial records.
14. Direct the development and implementation of the District Strategic Plan and collaborate with the colleges in the development of the colleges Strategic Plans and Student Success Plans.
15. Collaborate with the colleges in the implementation of enrollment management plans.
16. Represents the District to local, state, and federal governmental agencies, businesses and agencies involved in creating, developing, modifying, and evaluating programs and services for community college students.
17. Forge successful relationships with governmental agencies, business and industry, other educational institutions, and service organizations to develop and maintain articulation and collaborative activities.
18. Supervise and direct assigned employees, including hiring and performance evaluation.
19. Perform other duties as assigned by the Chancellor.
• Master’s Degree from an accredited college/university.
• A minimum of six (6) years of progressively responsible leadership experience as an administrator at an institution of higher education. This may include experience as a Vice President, dean, or district level administrative positions, administration of educational or student services, and other unique district level positions. Qualified applicants will have worked directly with the Chief Executive Officer on college or district priorities or initiatives.
• Demonstrated sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, ethnic, and disability backgrounds of community college students and employees.
• The following desirable education and experience are important to the success of the administrator in this position:
• Doctorate degree in educational leadership.
• Prior teaching experience at the college or university level.
• Experience participating in the collective bargaining process.
• Experience with both general education and Career and Technical Education programs.
• Experience with alternative methods of instruction including distance education.
• Demonstrated experience in providing leadership to the development of instructional, student services, and administrative programs as a line administrator.
• Experience with state, national or community involvement representing the district.
• Experience in developing, initiating, and implementing enrollment management.
Knowledge and Abilities
• The curriculum process and experience in credit, non-credit, and not-for-credit programs.
• Comprehensive student services programs and best practices. Knowledge of the mission of California Community Colleges.
• The role of Career & Technical Education programs within the Mission of the California Community Colleges.
• Knowledge of successful strategies leading to student success. Ability to lead, implement, and manage change.
• Ability to interpret laws, rules, and regulations affecting community colleges; to formulate policies and procedures; to compile clear, accurate statistical reports, and surveys.
• Knowledge of teaching and learning strategies and experience in evaluation of those strategies.
• Knowledge of enrollment management.
• A track record of being innovative in planning, developing, and producing quality alternative delivery of instruction.
• Ability to relate well and work effectively with students, faculty, staff, and business and industry representatives of diverse backgrounds.
• Integrity, high energy, devotion to collegiality, and civility as the accepted mode of discourse, and an exceptional level of creativity and initiative.
• Ability to communicate effectively and persuasively orally, in writing, and using technology.
SALARY RANGE$ 169,395.35 – $ 222,261.38 annually(Placement negotiable; based on experience and qualification)
First Review of Applications: Complete application packets will be accepted until the position is filled; but those received by April 8, 2022 are assured consideration. The College reserves the right to extend time limits or reinitiate the recruitment/selection process at any point. Completed application packet must include:
• Completed Online Application for Employment form
• Current resume
• Letter of interest (Cover Letter)
• Copy of legible transcripts (Official transcripts will be required upon offer of employment)
• List of five (5) professional references – Listed on application form
• Minimum of five professional references
• Supervisors, direct reports, faculty members, support staff, community members and peers.
• Must provide name, title, preferred email addresses, and preferred phone numbers.
For confidential inquiries, contact:
Dean Colli PPL Incorporated
For technical inquiries regarding the application process please contact: Judy Caballero Human Resources Specialist Kern Community College District Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
It is the applicant’s responsibility to redact (or remove) any personal information from all documents prior to uploading. This includes Social Security Numbers, Date of Birth, and any photos of the applicant.
Foreign Degree: Applicants with foreign degrees from colleges or universities outside of the United States must have their coursework evaluated by a professional association that is a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) or Academic Credentials Evaluation Institute, INC. (ACEI). A copy of the evaluation must be submitted with your on-line application.
Applicants who require reasonable accommodation to participate in the selection process should contact Human Resources to make the necessary arrangements. https://www.kccd.edu/human-resources/discrimination-free-work-environment
Note: The District is strongly committed to achieving staff diversity and the principles of equal employment opportunity. The District encourages a diverse pool of applicants and does not discriminate on the basis of national origin, religion, age, gender, gender identity, gender expression, race or ethnicity, color, medical condition, genetic information, ancestry, sexual orientation, marital status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, or because he/she is perceived to have one or more of the foregoing characteristics, or based on association with a person or group with one or more of these actual or perceived characteristics or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law, in any of its policies, procedures or practices. https://www.kccd.edu/human-resources/discrimination-free-work-environment
The District does not provide sponsorship for authorization to work in the United States. Work authorization should be established at the time of application submission.
All applicants must apply online at https://apptrkr.com/2957362. Emails will not be accepted.
To apply for this job please visit apptrkr.com.