Website College of the Desert
Director, Kinesiology and Athletics
Job Type: Leadership
Department: Kinesiology & Athletics
The Director of Kinesiology and Athletics is an Educational Administrator position as designated by the Board of Trustees of the Desert Community College District. The Director is charged by the Board of Trustees with the satisfactory implementation of Board policy and district or college procedures as applicable to the position. In addition, the Director is expected to make appropriate recommendations for modifications, additions, or deletions in policy and/or through the appropriate reporting authority.
Under the direction of the School Dean, the Director is responsible for the leadership of the of the Kinesiology and Athletic departments by planning, managing, coordinating, scheduling, and evaluating the activities of the academic disciplines including Health, Kinesiology, Recreation, Athletics Programs and other related duties and responsibilities assigned. The Director also serves as Director of Athletics. The Director develops, directs, manages and evaluates the curriculum and course offerings, including the faculty, coaches and staff and the facilities comprising the instructional areas.
• Coordinate and collaborate with faculty, coaches, and department chair to ensure curriculum and program meets regulatory requirements and community needs and state and federal regulations. Recommend teaching and coaching assignments with final approval by the School Dean.
• Serve as the Director of Athletics. Plan and organize, develop, implement and manage intercollegiate athletic activities in compliance with District Conference, State, Federal and California Community College Athletics Association (CCCAA) regulations, policies and standards, including Title IX.
• Evaluate the needs of the department in the context of the overall educational program; work collaboratively with faculty and coaches in program evaluation and improvement; evaluate the need for new programs and support new program development for currency and relevance. Develop surveys and manage statistical reports and other records to assess program effectiveness and student outcomes.
• Work collaboratively with faculty in department and School planning and prioritization; participate with the School team to set goals and priorities.
• Collaborate with the School Dean to coordinate and articulate program needs and curriculum identified by faculty, students, and the community. Provide leadership for program development and articulation with feeder schools and transfer institutions, including athletic opportunities at College of the Desert. Assist in Student-Athlete Articulation for Transfer to upper division institutions. Under the direction of the School Dean, provide leadership in the recruitment and hiring of full-time and adjunct faculty, coaches, trainers, physicians, advisors, and staff.
• Supervise and evaluate all faculty, coaches, trainers, physicians, advisors, and staff within the instructional and program areas; assign workload; provide in-service training; serve as a mediator in conflicts involving students, faculty, coaches, and staff; facilitate consensus decision-making. Train coaches and other staff regarding eligibility rules; work with athletic specialist to complete eligibility; complete necessary support activities for athletes such as academic advising, tutorials, standards and safety practices.
• Develop and approve team schedules with coaches; work with coaches and staff to make travel arrangements for games; work with coaches and staff to make sure arrangements for home contests are made including facilities, game officials, support staff, security, field/court decorum, and related matters. Attend home athletic events; attend off-campus events as appropriate.
• Develop and maintain positive working relationship with and between the college staff and local media representatives and organizations; coordinate publicity with coaches and Public Information staff including season passes, press releases, schedules, awards banquets, community groups, and Websites.
• Approve special events involving use of athletic facilities by both internal and external users; arrange for equipment distribution and collection.
• Oversee all post-conference competition, regional and/or state championships etc.; supervise all tournaments hosted by COD athletics.
• Regularly schedule and chair faculty and staff meetings and special meetings as needed; serve on regular and special committees as assigned by the School Dean; represent the department concerns and needs to the School Dean. Represent the District and attend regional and state meetings.
• Assist the School Dean with preparation of the budget. Administer and monitor approved budgets; prepare and manage contracts for services and equipment, including donations and grants.
• Meet schedules and timelines, organize multiple projects efficiently and effectively, and carry out required project details throughout the year.
• Seek and participate in professional development activities.
• Perform duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Education and Experience
The Desert Community College District has established the following hiring criteria for all educational administrative positions:
Minimum qualifications for service as an Educational Administrator shall be both of the following in accordance with Title 5 section 53420:
• Possession of a master’s degree; and
• One year of formal training, internship, or leadership experience reasonably related to the administrator’s administrative assignment.
Knowledge, experience and abilities to perform the above listed responsibilities and functions in an efficient, effective, harmonious manner.
Knowledge and Abilities
The Director must have the ability to exercise honesty, consistency, and sound judgment in the performance of duties; understanding of the mission and student population of California Community Colleges and the Coachella Valley; ability to work in the interests of the college as a whole; ability to work productively in a shared governance setting; strong interpersonal skills to communicate effectively with diverse constituencies within and outside the District; understanding of the intent and application of student learning outcomes; familiarity with requirements for prerequisites and course equivalencies; familiarity with new educational technologies; ability to plan, organize, direct, administer, review, and evaluate programs and services.
The Director must possess knowledge of the California Community College Athletic Association Constitution and Bylaws; knowledge of federal, state, regional, and District laws, regulations, and policies related to the programs; familiarity with the operational aspects of athletic team activities, including facilities, safety, and equipment; knowledge of District and Board Policies and Procedures; knowledge of the mission and student population of California Community Colleges and the Coachella Valley; understand and be sensitive to the diverse backgrounds of community college students; familiarity with new educational technologies; and an ability to work variable hours, including weekends and evenings.
Working Conditions: Licenses and Other Requirements
Valid California driver’s license and must have an acceptable driving record and current vehicle insurance meeting State of California requirements.
Environment Office environment. Constant interruptions. Driving a vehicle to conduct work as necessary. Requires some evening and weekend responsibility.
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
Weekly Working Hours: 40
Work Schedule & Hours:
Salary Schedule Range: Certificated Leadership, Range IX
Specific Departmental Needs:
Posting Number: 21-108
Number of Vacancies: 1
Desired Start Date:
Interview Date: 01/19/2022
Posting Open Date: 11/05/2021
Posting Close Date: 1/2/2022
Open Until Filled: No
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Applications missing any of the required documents listed will not be considered. The following documents are required at the time of application:
• Online Application: Please fill out your online application completely with all requested details.
• Resume: Must include length of employment (month/year start & end dates) for each employer.
• Cover Letter: Please address how you meet the minimum requirements for this position and any special qualifications you possess.
IN YOUR APPLICATION
• List of Professional References: References should include at three supervisors, two faculty members, and two other references not related to the applicant (including classified staff). Please include name, title, email, and current phone numbers for all references in your application. Letters of recommendation will not be accepted in lieu of the required addition of Professional References.
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/2625536
To apply for this job please visit apptrkr.com.