Website College of the Desert
Senior Program Specialist / Non Credit Programs
Job Type: Full Time
BASIC FUNCTION Under the direction of the Dean, coordinate registration processes for Non-Credit Programs including Adult Basic Education (ABE),English as a Second Language Non Credit (ESLN), General Education Development (GED) , perform a variety of specialized technical duties in processing, evaluating and researching student records and academic transcripts for a variety of purposes, including graduation from high school eligibility, entry into public services programs and student assessment for successful completion of basic skills for the purposes of vocational, academic and personal enrichment goals. EMPLOYMENT STATUS
- Classified Bargaining Position, Range 11.
- The position is 40 hours a week/12 months a year.
- Schedule is Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- The position is located at our Palm Desert Campus.
- The schedule and location are subject to change based on District need.
- Provide information in English and Spanish, in person, by telephone, or in writing regarding GED preparation classes, assessment and GED testing, application process for minors, High School Diploma program, remedial skills, and English as a Second Language, residency requirements, rules and regulations.
- Assist instructors/counselors in identifying students’ academic needs and goals through interviewing, testing, and evaluating results for a successful completion of basic skills, academic, and career goals.
- Coordinate registration process for department and off-campus site(s); correlate dates with Admissions and Records Office; implement prioritization process; and inform students of status on waiting list.
- Assist students in completing required forms; translate as necessary.
- Monitor progress and attendance of CalWORKs students; perform calculations and prepare monthly billing reports for reimbursement.
- Review and evaluate academic records including high school, and college transcripts for the purpose of high school graduation eligibility; translate transcripts as necessary; evaluate records to assure that students are updated on their progress; confer with instructors.
- Identify student’s academic needs and goals through interviewing, testing and evaluating results in order to devise an academic plan for successful completion of basic skills, academic and career goals.
- Assist in the administration and evaluation of exams to determine eligibility for G.E.D. certification, CASAS exit certification, various public agency readiness or remedial skills needs for successful matriculation into college programs.
- Maintain and update various records, tests, reports and data for program participants and billing procedures for accountability to the Department of Social Services and State Office of Education.
- Assess and place students in Non-Credit Programs into appropriate courses.
- Verify enrollment, progress, status and completion to employers, training programs, colleges, public agencies and military through letters, transcripts, GED and other test scores.
- Meet with and maintain communication with high school counselors regarding our requirements, enrollment and other related matters.
- Maintain current knowledge of program policies and regulations; assure compliance with State regulations, codes and requirements; prepare a variety of reports and submit to appropriate agencies as required.
- Administer and score GED exams and maintain records in accordance to strict State Office of Education requirement; assure proper procedures are maintained related to control and submission of test results.
- Attend training to maintain currency regarding regulations, procedures and reporting systems.
- Operate a variety of office technology including but not limited to computers and related software applications.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE Any combination equivalent to: an associate’s degree and three years experience in training, testing or teaching including public contact. Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing in English and in Spanish. Previous work experience in a college, high school or adult education setting, including registration is desirable.
Knowledge of: Specialized functions, activities and operations of an assigned area; grade and credit requirements and codes for high school completion; GED policies, state, federal and district laws and practices as necessary; operation of a computer and Microsoft Office applications; registration procedures and regulations; district organization, operations, policies and objectives; interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy; record-keeping techniques; correct English usage, grammar, spelling, punctuation and vocabulary; an understanding and sensitivity to the diverse backgrounds of community college students.
Ability to: Perform specialized clerical and technical duties in an assigned area; determine program eligibility based on applications and supporting documentation; assess student needs and develop viable plans and alternatives; maintain confidentiality of student records, grades and attendance; communicate effectively orally and in writing in English and in Spanish, to exchange information in person or on the telephone; interact and work cooperatively with individuals from diverse cultures and backgrounds; establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others; work independently with little direction; compile and verify data and prepare reports; operate a computer terminal to enter data, maintain records and generate reports using applicable software including word processing, spreadsheets and email; determine appropriate action within clearly defined guidelines; bend at the waist, kneel or crouch to file materials; lift and carry 25 pounds; sit or stand for extended periods of time.
Working Conditions: WORKING CONDITIONS Environment : Office environment. Constant interruptions.
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
Weekly Working Hours: 40
Work Schedule & Hours: Monday – 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., Tuesday – 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., Wednesday – 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., Thursday – 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., Friday – 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Salary Schedule Range: Classified, Range 11
Posting Number: 21-063
Interview Date: 08/03/2021
Posting Open Date: 06/28/2021
Open Until Filled: No
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Special Instructions REQUIRED ATTACHMENTS: Applications missing any of the required documents listed will not be considered. The following documents are required at the time of application:
- Online Application: Please fill out your online application completely with all requested details.
- Resume: Must include length of employment (month/year start & end dates) for each employer.
- Cover Letter: Please address how you meet the minimum requirements for this position and any special qualifications you possess.
IN YOUR APPLICATION * List of Professional References: List of Professional References: References should include at three supervisors and two colleagues. Please include name, title, email, and current phone numbers for all references in your application. Letters of recommendation will not be accepted in lieu of the required addition of Professional References.
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/2334426
To apply for this job please visit apptrkr.com.