Website College of the Desert
Dean, School of Social Sciences and Arts
Job Type: Full Time
The Dean, School of Social Sciences and Arts, is an Educational Administrator position as designated by the Board of Trustees of the Desert Community College District. The Dean is charged by the Board of Trustees with the satisfactory implementation of Board policy and district or college procedures as applicable to the position. In addition, the Dean is expected to make appropriate recommendations for modifications, additions, or deletions in policy and/or through the appropriate reporting authority.
Under the direction of the Vice President, Student Learning, the Dean is responsible for the leadership of the School by planning, managing, coordinating, scheduling, and evaluating the activities of the academic disciplines in the School of Social Sciences and Arts (including Anthropology, Geography, Global Studies, History, Human Services, Philosophy, Political Science, Psychology, Sociology, Music, Theater Arts, and Visual Arts), the Marks Center for the Arts, and other related duties and responsibilities as assigned. The Dean serves as an administrator of comprehensive programs in the School of Social Sciences and Arts. The Dean directs, manages and evaluates the curriculum and develops the
course offering, including the faculty and other personnel and the facilities comprising the instructional areas. The Dean coordinates and evaluates instructional programs in the assigned School.
- Develop and supervise School instruction occurring in the day, evening, summer, and intersession periods; develop class schedules to respond to student needs, produce a high quality comprehensive educational program, and meet FTES targets; use facilities effectively.
- Oversee the Marks Center for the Arts and student performance productions to ensure that instructional needs are met.
- Evaluate the needs of the School in the context of the overall educational program; work collaboratively with faculty in program evaluation and improvement; evaluate the need for new programs and support new program development.
- Work collaboratively with faculty in the School on college planning and prioritization; participate with the administrative team to set goals and priorities.
- Coordinate and articulate program needs and curriculum identified by faculty, students, and the community. Provide leadership for School program development and articulation with feeder schools and transfer institutions.
- Work effectively and collaboratively with the Director, Education Centers, regarding campuses in Indio and Mecca/Thermal and WVC course offerings and with the Director, Partnership and Community Education, for identifying fee-based offerings.
- Provide leadership in the recruitment and hiring of full-time and adjunct faculty and support staff.
- Supervise all faculty and staff within the instructional and program areas; supervise workload; provide in-service training; resolve conflicts; facilitate consensus decision-making.
- Evaluate all faculty and staff in accordance with the contracts between the District and employee groups.
- Regularly schedule and chair faculty and staff meetings and special meetings as needed; serve on regular and special committees as assigned by the Vice President of Student Learning; represent the School concerns and needs to the Vice President of Student Learning; participate in the Student Learning Cabinet; and work effectively and collaboratively with Student Affairs.
- Prepare budget estimates; administer and monitor approved budgets; prepare and manage contracts for services and equipment, including donations and grants within the School.
- Coordinate scheduling of course sections in appropriate facilities; monitor classroom, lab and production facilities for adequate equipment, supplies and safety; work collaboratively with the appropriate departments including Facilities Services and Information Technology to maintain equipment and facilities.
- Assist in student recruitment, advising, placement, registration, and retention.
- Understand information technology and support fundamental changes that are emerging with expanded use of technologies in the educational environment.
- Meet schedules and timelines, organize multiple projects efficiently and effectively, and carry out required project details throughout the year.
- Interpret county, state and federal policy and legislation governing the administration, regulations, and perform other related duties.
- Develop and manage grants and special projects.
- Represent the School and the college in community related activities.
- Support innovative teaching ideas and practices to enhance student learning; support learning-centered instructional methodology.
- Seek and participate in professional development activities.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Knowledge, experience and abilities to perform the above listed responsibilities and functions in an efficient, effective, harmonious manner.
The Desert Community College District has established the following hiring criteria for all educational administrative positions:
Minimum qualifications for service as an educational administrator shall be both of the following in accordance with Title 5 section 53420:
- Possession of a master’s degree; and
- One year of formal training, internship, or leadership experience reasonably related to the administrator’s administrative assignment.
The Dean must have the ability to exercise honesty, consistency, and sound judgment in the performance of duties; understanding of the mission and student population of California Community Colleges and the Coachella Valley; ability to work in the interests of the college as a whole; ability to work in the interests of the college as a whole; ability to work productively in a shared governance setting; strong interpersonal skills to communicate effectively with diverse constituencies within and outside the District; possess an understanding and sensitivity of the diverse backgrounds of community college students; understanding of the intent and application of student learning outcomes; familiarity with requirements for prerequisites and course equivalencies; familiarity with new educational technologies; ability to plan, organize, direct, administer, review, and evaluate programs and services. The Dean must possess knowledge of principles and practices of general management and supervision; laws and regulations governing California Community Colleges; district policies and procedures; budgeting; procedures for accreditation; curriculum development; teaching methods and techniques.
Working Conditions: Working Conditions/Environment
Office environment. Constant interruptions. Driving a vehicle to conduct work as necessary. Requires some evening and weekend responsibility.
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
Weekly Working Hours: 40
Work Schedule & Hours: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday – 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
Salary Schedule Range: Certificated Leadership, Range XI
Specific Departmental Needs:
Posting Number: 21-052
Number of Vacancies: 1
Interview Date: 07/14/2021
Posting Open Date: 04/14/2021
Open Until Filled: Yes
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Professional References should include at least: 2 supervisors, 2 direct reports, 2 management level colleagues, 2 faculty. Include name, title, relationship and current phone numbers. Applicants from sectors other than education should submit comparable references.
- Resume: Must include length of employment (month/year start & end dates) for each employer.
- Cover Letter: Please address how you meet the minimum requirements for this position and any special qualifications you possess.
- College Transcripts:
For consideration of college coursework, transcripts must be attached. Transcripts must be from an accredited institution and include institution name, degree awarded, and date degree awarded. Diplomas will not be accepted in lieu of transcripts.
- This position is scheduled to remain open until filled.
- For first consideration, applications must be received by June 14th, 2021.
- Interviews are tentatively scheduled for Monday through Wednesday, July 19th, 20th, & 21st, 2021.
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/2218199
To apply for this job please visit apptrkr.com.