Website College of the Desert
Dean, Health Sciences and Education
Job Type: Leadership
Department: School of Health Sciences & Education Dept
The Position: The Dean of Health Sciences and Education is an Educational Administrator position as designated by the Board of Trustees of the Desert Community College District. The Dean is charged by the Board of Trustees with the satisfactory implementation of Board policy and District or college procedures as applicable to the position. In addition, the Dean is expected to make appropriate recommendations for modifications, additions, or deletions in policy and/or through the appropriate reporting authority.
Under the direction of the Vice President of Instruction, the Dean is responsible for the leadership of the School by planning, managing, coordinating, scheduling, and evaluating the activities of the academic disciplines in the Health Sciences, Early Childhood Education, and Kinesiology (including Registered Nursing, Vocational Nursing, Nursing Assistant, Home Health Aide, and Early Childhood Education) and other related duties and responsibilities as assigned. The Dean serves as an administrator of comprehensive programs in the Health Sciences, Early Childhood Education, and Kinesiology. The Dean develops, directs, manages, and evaluates the curriculum and course offerings, including the faculty and other personnel and the facilities comprising the instructional area. The Dean coordinates and evaluates instructional programs in the assigned School and oversees the McCarthy Family Child Development and Training Center and the Department of Kinesiology and Athletics.
Representative Duties: Essential Functions
- Develop and supervise instruction occurring in the day, evening and summer and intersession periods; develop class schedules to respond to student needs, produce a high quality comprehensive educational program, and meet FTES targets; use facilities effectively.
- Evaluate the needs of the School in the context of the overall educational program; work collaboratively with faculty in program evaluation and improvement; evaluate the need for new programs and support new program development.
- Work collaboratively with faculty in the School on college planning and prioritization; participate with the administrative team to set goals and priorities.
- Coordinate and articulate program needs and curriculum identified by faculty, students, and the community; provide leadership for School program development and articulation with feeder schools and transfer institutions.
- Work effectively and collaboratively with the Directors of Education Centers regarding off-site course offerings and with the Program Manager, Partnership and Community Education, for identifying fee-based offerings.
- Provide leadership in the recruitment and hiring of full-time and adjunct faculty and support staff; evaluate all full-time and adjunct faculty, support staff, and managers in accordance with the contracts between the District and employee groups.
- Supervise all faculty, staff, and managers within the instructional and program areas; supervise workload; provide in-service training; resolve conflicts; facilitate consensus decision-making.
- Regularly schedule and chair faculty and staff meetings and special meetings as needed; serve on regular and special committees as assigned by the Vice President of Instruction; represent School concerns and needs to the Vice President of Instruction; work effectively and collaboratively with fellow deans and with Student Services.
- Prepare budget estimates; monitor approved budgets; prepare and manage contracts for services and equipment, including donations and grants within the School.
- Coordinate scheduling of course sections in appropriate facilities; monitor classroom and lab facilities for adequate equipment, supplies, and safety; work collaboratively with the appropriate departments including Maintenance & Operations and Information Technology to maintain equipment and facilities.
- Assist in student recruitment, admissions, advising, placement, registration, and retention.
- Understand information technology and support fundamental changes that are emerging with expanded use of technologies in the educational environment.
- Meet schedules and timelines; organize multiple projects effectively and carry out required project details throughout the year.
- Interpret county, state, and federal policy and legislation governing the administration and regulation of programs within the School.
- Develop and manage grants and special projects.
- Represent the School and the District in community-related activities.
- Support innovative teaching ideas and practices to enhance student learning; support student learning centered instructional methodology.
- Supervise the Director of Nursing and Allied Health, the Director of the McCarthy Family Child Development and Training Center, the Director of Kinesiology and Athletics, and other assigned management personnel.
- Ensure program compliance with external accrediting and/or approval agencies.
- Initiate and maintain contractual agreements with clinical facilities used in School programs.
- Oversee the McCarthy Family Child Development and Training Center to ensure operation in compliance with federal, state, and county regulations.
- Oversee the Department of Kinesiology and Athletics to ensure operation in compliance with conference, state, and national rules and regulations.
- Seek and participate in professional development activities; support the ongoing professional development of personnel within the School.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications: The Desert Community College District has established the following hiring criteria for all educational administrative positions:
Minimum qualifications for service as an Educational Administrator shall be both of the following in accordance with Title 5 section 53420:
• Possession of a master’s degree; and
• One year of formal training, internship, or leadership experience reasonably related to the administrator’s administrative assignment.
Required Proficiencies Knowledge, experience, and abilities to perform the above-listed responsibilities and functions in an efficient, effective, harmonious manner.
Knowledge and Abilities The Dean must have the ability to exercise honesty, consistency, and sound judgment in the performance of duties; understanding of the mission and student population of California Community Colleges, the Desert Community District, and the Coachella Valley in general; ability to work in the interests of the college as a whole; ability to work productively in a shared governance setting; strong interpersonal skills to communicate effectively with diverse constituencies within and outside the District; understanding of the intent and application of student learning outcomes; familiarity with requirements for prerequisites and course equivalencies; familiarity with new educational technologies; ability to plan, organize, direct, administer, review and evaluate programs and services; provide strategic leadership in assigned areas. The Dean must possess knowledge of principles and practices of general management and supervision; laws and regulations governing nursing programs and the California Community Colleges; child care centers, and intercollegiate athletics; District policies and procedures; budgeting; procedures for accreditation; curriculum; and teaching methods and techniques.
Working Conditions: WORKING CONDITIONS
• Environment: Office environment. Constant interruptions. Driving a vehicle to conduct work as necessary.
• Requires evening and weekend responsibility.
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
Weekly Working Hours: 40
Work Schedule & Hours:
Salary Schedule Range: Leadership Salary Schedule XI
Specific Departmental Needs:
Posting Number: 21-079
Number of Vacancies: 1
Desired Start Date:
Interview Date: 10/08/0021
Posting Open Date: 08/25/2021
Posting Close Date: 9/26/2021
Open Until Filled: No
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Applications missing any of the required documents listed will not be considered. The following documents are required at the time of application:
• Online Application: Please fill out your online application completely with all requested details.
• Resume: Must include length of employment (month/year start & end dates) for each employer.
• Cover Letter: Please address how you meet the minimum requirements for this position and any special qualifications you possess.
REQUIRED REFERENCES: Professional References should include at least: 2 supervisors, 2 direct reports, 2 management level colleagues, 2 faculty. Include name, title, relationship and current phone numbers. Applicants from sectors other than education should submit other comparable references.
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/2461485
To apply for this job please visit apptrkr.com.