Website Calbright College
Chief Financial and Administrative Officer
Position Type: Full time
Requisition No: 21023
Category: Classified Administrator
Supervisor: President and CEO
Last Updated: October 2020
Job Purpose: Oversee strategic financial and Human Resources functions
Location: Remote, various locations throughout California
The Chief Financial and Administrative Officer (CFAO) is head of the strategic budgeting, accounting, procurement, facilities management, and human resources functions of Calbright College. This executive-level leader is responsible for providing strategic thinking and guidance through collaboration with the CEO and executive team to establish long-range financial goals and strategies. The CFAO serves on the Calbright College executive team and acts as a key executive liaison with the CEO to the California Community Colleges Chancellor’s Office, other state agencies, the Legislature, and external constituent groups.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities
The duties below are representative of the role and are not intended to cover all of the duties performed within the scope of work:
- Provide timely, effective counsel to the CEO and Board in all financial matters. Act as a finance consultant to other functional executives, providing input on business issues to assist them to achieve their objectives.
- As a member of the executive team, work collaboratively and communicate with all departments of the organization to lead organizational strategic budgeting and reporting processes, including the annual budget development.
- Develop and direct the College budgeting process, as well as report the performance versus actual on a regular basis. Ensure active monitoring and analysis of financial statements and related data and/or information. Manage capital expense program.
- Oversee all human resources efforts on behalf of the College; and provide summaries and analyses of human resources issues to the CEO, Board, and/or
Executive Team on a regular basis.
- Maintain productive, professional, collaborative, and collegial relationships with third-parties related to employment practices at the College, including labor unions, healthcare and insurance providers, and other vendors.
- Oversee the College’s internal control structure, accounting, financial reporting processes, financial planning and analyses, and annual audit processes.
- Ensure the effective management of procurement processes and asset inventories. Ensure effective coordination and collaboration with IT management and resources.
- Oversee and ensure exceptional management of College facilities, assets, equipment, real property, and leases to ensure the employees and programs of Calbright are able to work comfortably, collaboratively, and creatively together to achieve the organization’s vital mission.
- Ensure systems such as ERP, HRIS, and other applications related to the CFAO function are in place and well-maintained; provide tools and resources and conduct training sessions and workshops related to CFAO functions to enable executive and departmental leaders to achieve program and organizational goals.
- Performs other related duties as assigned that support the objective of the position.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Ability to build, manage, and maintain optimal financial and human resources departments.
- Experience developing and implementing organizational strategic budgeting and reporting processes, including the annual budget development.
- Proven track record in accurate financial reporting, including financial management principles, techniques, and practices.
- Experience creating and executing strategic plans, principles and practices.
- Experience working with GAAP, GASB, and pertinent mandates.
- Fund accounting experience.
- Knowledge of State and federal contract practices.
- Experience working with human resources professionals to achieve organizational objectives in the areas of employee/employer relations, investigations, collective bargaining, grievance and discipline procedures, performance management, compliance, disability and leave management, equity and inclusion, and records management.
- Knowledge of political and legislative processes.
- Knowledge of applicable laws, statutes, initiatives, policies, regulations, and other outcomes of legislative processes.
- Ability to effectively present information to government officials, public groups, or boards.
- Agile leader and team player comfortable working in and helping others thrive in a dynamic, collaborative environment that is characterized by growth and change.
- Strong interpersonal skills, excellent written and verbal communication skills, the ability to inspire employees, and the ability to instill confidence with members of the executive team and other key stakeholders internally and externally.
- Analytical and operational leader with the ability to maximize the output of the College and its people, and manage teams to scale.
- Demonstrated commitment to and experience working to further cultural competency in an organization and create a more diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace.
- Ability to manage under pressure, prioritize issues, and resolve conflicts.
- Passion for innovation and ability to execute innovations and not just conceptualize.
- Demonstrate understanding of, sensitivity to, and respect for the diverse academic, socio-economic, ethnic, religious, and cultural backgrounds, disability, and sexual orientation of community college students, staff and faculty.
- 10+ years of related experience, including 7+ years in a management role.
- Senior executive experience working in a community college, K-12 district, or other governmental or government auxiliary fiscal environment.
- Experience developing and maintaining large and complex budgets.
- Relevant Bachelor’s degree (BA/BS) or equivalent required.
- Masters degree preferred. Working Conditions and Travel
- Calbright College is a statewide online college where all instruction and support are done via various online technologies both in person and remotely. Calbright College has administrative offices in Sacramento available for use. When working remotely, employees should be able and willing to use digital communication tools as used by the college, and have the ability to work on a computer for extended periods of time.
- Regular attendance is considered an essential job function; the inability to meet attendance requirements may preclude the employee from retaining employment.
- The person holding this position is considered a mandated reporter under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in Calbright College policies, procedures, and Title IX.
- Calbright College celebrates all forms of diversity and is deeply committed to fostering an inclusive environment within which students, staff, administrators, and faculty thrive. Individuals interested in advancing Calbright College’s strategic diversity goals are strongly encouraged to apply. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose.
- Requires the ability to function in a remote online instructional environment performing work of primarily a sedentary nature. Requires the ability to use hearing and speech to make presentations to groups and carry on conversations over the phone and in-person. Requires speaking skills to communicate with staff and students in one-on-one and small group settings, on the phone, and to distinguish sound prompts from various types of equipment. Requires near visual acuity to read printed materials and computer screens. Requires sufficient hand/arm/finger dexterity to retrieve work materials, operate a personal computer keyboard, and operate standard office equipment. Requires the ability to lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- Work is performed indoors where minimal safety considerations exist.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Calbright College provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, veteran status, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Calbright College complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.
Who We Are
Calbright College is California’s newest community college – the first statewide, online campus designed to bridge the gap between employers with unfilled positions and students who don’t have either the time or money to attend a traditional school. Our mission is to increase economic mobility for working adults who lack easy access to traditional forms of higher education by offering flexible, affordable skills-based programs that provide tangible economic value for both working adults and hiring managers.
To apply for the position, please visit: https://apptrkr.com/2034578
To apply for this job please visit apptrkr.com.